Knowing your skin type is the chief way you can ensure your skin feels and looks its best. Many people, however, get confused when trying to figure out exactly what their skin type is. Skin can be divided into various types according to its texture. It is essential to know what skin type you actually have and using the correct products on your face can really make a difference to those problem areas you may have.
Due to our higher levels of collagen, male skin is up to 20% thicker and tougher than female skin . Male skin is also oilier, with larger exposed pores, a richer blood supply, and more of a tendency to break out in a sweat compared with women's skin.
There are five basic skin types. They are
1. Normal skin
2. Dry skin
3. Oily skin
4. Combination skin
5. Sensitive skin
Five different skin types and their featues are as follows .
- Type 1 Oily Skin - Oily skin tends to shiny with enlarged pores, and is prone to blackheads and blemishes. You might experience some tightness.
- Type 2: Combination/normal This skin type has medium pores, a smooth and even texture, good circulation, healthy color, may tend toward dryness on the cheeks while being oily in the t-zone.
- Type 3: Sensitive Sensitive skin tends to be thin, delicate with fine pores. It flushes easily, is prone to broken capillaries, is frequently allergic and can be rashy.
- Type 4: Dry Dry skin feels tight, especially after cleansing. You have a tendency towards fine wrinkles, flaking and red patches. In women of color, skin may appear ashy or dull from dead skin buildup.
- Type 5: Aging or sun-damaged This skin also feels tight with visible wrinkles, slack skin tone -- especially around the cheeks and jawline -- with leathery texture and broken capillaries.
DETERMINING THE SKIN TYPE
There are different skin types which are classified into five division’s namely dry skin, normal skin, oily skin, combination skin and sensitive skin. There is a common and easy step to determine your skin type so that it becomes possible to identify it and to take further necessary steps. For this all you need is a piece of tissue to wipe which is clean. When you wake up in the early morning it is suggested that you wipe your face with the clean tissue that you have and observe it. For those having normal skin, the oil does not come on the paper and your face does not feel tight or flaky. If your skin is oily then there would be oil on the tissue which is seen as transparent spots. The oil comes out usually from the nose, forehead and cheek parts. On the other hand if there is oil only in the center part then it is a combination skin. In such people oil comes off from the forehead and nose which is considered to be the oiliest part of the skin, but does not come from the cheeks. For those who have dry or normal skin they will have no oil in the tissue. After wiping if the skin is left too tight or stretched with a feeling or dryness as well as parched then it is sure to be dry skin. It is sure to be normal skin if it is supple, lively, vibrant and elastic. Thus it is simple test to determine your skin type. People having sensitive skin can point out it when the skin tends to be tight and blotchy and reacts to new skin-care products by becoming red, inflamed or even itchy. There are even online skin tests which are now available in many tests. For knowing the strategies of the skin it is very important to identify your skin type.
TIPS TO KEEP NORMAL SKIN HEALTHY
- Facial massaging is said to be the topmost choice. It provides various advantages like toning and tightening the muscles of the face. The circulation is also improved with the use of natural skincare blends. It keeps your skin healthy, nourished and even young.
- Lots of water should be drunk along with eating fruits and vegetables. Another important things needed are exercise and fresh air to breath.
- Applying sunscreen would protect a lot from the harmful effects of the sun. This would also prevent premature ageing.
- There are a lot of essential oils which could come in use. It includes a blend of lavender, jasmine and geranium which are mixed into the base oil. Jasmine has its property of balancing the skin, lavender regenerates, heals and stimulated the prevention of scarring and geranium is known for its balancing properties and even aids circulation.
- The base oil used could be jojoba oil, almond oil and carrot oil. Other essential oils recommended for normal skin are fennel, lavender, rose, chamomile, sandalwood, lemon, patchouli and geranium.
- An added tip is to use honey beneath the mask treatments which is considered to be very important for normal skin. Honey is the best ingredient which could regulate the moisture of the skin. It is also good for dry as well as sensitive skin. Aromatherapy could sometimes cause irritation and to prevent this it is always recommended to use 50 drops of essential oil in 100ml of the carrier oil. For sensitive skin it is always preferred to use lemongrass and tea tree which could only be diluted 1-2%.
CLINICAL TREATMENT for Oily Skin
- Steaming the face is proved to be a clinical treatment for oily skin.
- Black heads are to be removed after steaming as it loosens the blockages and also open the pores. Thus the dirt does not clog to result in forming pimples.
- Then the skin has to be moistened with medicated gel.
- The high frequency skin treatment is to be done to dry the skin and it also controls and kills the existing bacteria.
- After this treatment a suitable face mask has to be applied.
- If the skin still feels greasy, a degreasing procedure is adopted.
- Cleanse the skin just two or three times daily. Washing more than twice or thrice will only result in stripping the skin off the oils and it would stimulate the oil glands to replace it.
- Avoiding fried and junk foods such as whole milk, butter, cream, cheese, ice cream, chocolate, rich salad dressing, cocoa, nuts, sweets and fatty meats. It is considered to be a life long diet.
- Eat foods rich in water, fresh fruits, lean meats, chicken, cereals, whole grains, boiled fish and complex carbohydrates. This will help in regulating the bowel movements.
- Include Vitamin A and zinc capsules as a diet supplement.
- The spots could be hidden by make up which covers and camouflages them.
DO’s AND DON’Ts for Oily Skin
- Make sure that the hands are clean when you touch your face. Special care has to be taken when touching the spotty areas.
- Always use an oil-free or water based product for cleansing, toning and moisturizing.
- Use the face packs on regular basis.
- Exercise regularly.
- Try to reduce stress in your life.
- Stick to a diet rich in vegetables, salads and whole grains.
- Touch or squeeze spots.
- Ever go to bed with make-up on.
- Always make use of milder cleanser such as deep pore cleanser on the whole face and neck. This helps in keeping the oily T-zone clean and clear. Follow with this twice a day to come up with better results.
- During summer use an antibacterial soap to control the bacterial invasion and to prevent further problems in the T-zone.
- The dry areas need a good moisturizer, as these are known to stimulate the water penetration into the skin or it also works to decrease the rate at which the water evaporates from the surface of the skin. If the hydration is not enough, choose those lotions having silicone oils in them. This would help you moisturize your face without any feeling of extra oiliness and it is also light to use.
- A toner which is free of alcohol should be used on the oily areas to prevent the shining of the central panel of the face. But make sure that you do not use it in the dry areas.
- Exfoliate the skin so as to get a new and fresher look. While performing it check out the oilier areas more such as the nose, chin and even the forehead. The recommended mask for a combination skin is a gel mask. Otherwise you can prefer a clay mask for the oily areas such as forehead, chin and nose and a cream mask for dry areas which includes cheeks.
- On oily areas always prefer oil-absorbing make up as this would surely control the shine.
- Depend on a sunscreen whenever you step out and use those having a minimum of 15 SPF.