Raksha bandhan 2011 date, Raksha bandhan, Rakhi festival, celebrate Raksha bandhan, pooja, process, ritual, Raksha bandhan katha, rakhi women fast, ladies, female, rakhi gift ideas
Raksha Bandhan in 2011 is on Saturday, August 13.
Raksha Bandhan (the bond of protection), or Rakhi, is a festival primarily observed in North India, which celebrates the relationship between brothers and sisters.The festival is observed by Hindus, Sikhs, and Muslims. The central ceremony involves the tying of a rakhi (sacred thread) by a sister on her brother's wrist. This symbolizes the sister's love and prayers for her brother's well-being, and the brother's lifelong vow to protect her. The festival falls on the full moon day (Shravan Poornima) of the Shravan month of the Hindu lunisolar calendar. It grew in popularity after Rani Karnavati, the widowed queen of Chittor, sent a rakhi to the Mughal emperor Humayun when she required his help.
In southern & Central parts of India including Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Orissa, this day (i.e. Shravan Poornima day), is when the Brahmin community performs the rituals of Avani Avittam or Upakarma.
While Raksha Bandhan is celebrated all over the country, different parts of the country mark the day in different ways.
In Nepal, Raksha Bandhan is celebrated on shravan purnima. It is also called Janai Purnima (Janai is sacred thread and purnima means full moon). Janai is changed in this day, in Brahmins and kshetry's family. A sacred thread is tied on hand by senior family members and relatives. Nepalese people enjoy this festival eating its special food "Kwati", a soup of sprout of seven different grains
Rakhi gift ideas for Sisters
- Jwellery Set - May be a simple gold plated set, or a diamond ear rings. It could be anything varying from a simple ear ring to an expensive diamond/pearl set.
- Clothes - Women love clothes, so may gift a a nice top, t-shirt, saree with matching bangle, or some utility cloth like bedsheet set.
- Flowers - U might also simply send flowers with may be some sweets.
- Accessories - A Leather purse, a watch, anything else u can think of.
Rakhi gift ideas for Brothers
- Rakhi and Pooja Thali.
- Clothes - A nice shirt, and a pair of jeans
- Accessories - Watch, Deo
- Pen and Rakhi - A parker pen along with Rakhi
- Flowers and Rakhi - Flowers, rakhi and some kaju katli or any other sweet.
cellspacing="0" closure_uid_5917eq="1011" style="height: 42px; text-align:
center; width: 344px;">
Other Upcoming Festivals